- HOW IT WORKS
- THE EQUINECHIP™ - Mini and Standard
- OUR COMPETITORS
- EQUINE PROTECTION REGISTRY
- RULES & REGS
Veterinarians love the quality and design of our Mini EquineChip™.
See how easy it is to use!
Dogs and cats and other small pets need to be registered at the Microchip Registration Center (for pets.)
Note: We are an active member of the national Pet Microchip Lookup Network.
The EPR – Equine Protection Registry™ is the only national microchip registry exclusively for horses and their owners. Managed by experts. Always On. Our trained staff is dedicated to horses and owners. So much more than a pet microchip registry. (But we have that, too!)
- Lifetime registration in the EPR. No more fees.
- Full page printable Ownership Certificate.
- Mobile Member Card.
- Free SearchAlert™ if needed.
- Live customer care. We back you up 7 days week.
- Cloud-based Member Account so you can update anytime, from anywhere.
- Added Bonus: When you enroll your horse in the EPR, we also take the additional step of listing your horse with the American Animal Hospital Association’s microchip lookup tool. We are a member of this search tool.
Several microchip companies manufacture microchips in two sizes. A regular size and a MINI version. However, the only Mini Chip approved by the USDA for use in horses is made by our company, Microchip ID Systems.
It is the same price as our regular chip, but uses a smaller needle – thus the name Mini! Order the EquineChip in the ISO Mini or the USDA 840 Mini – and get the best of all worlds.
- The highest quality minichip and syringe system you can buy.
- Officially approved by the USDA for use in horses. (840-ID)
- Complies with ISO standards.
- Can be used around the world.
- Can be ordered with USA prefix of ‘840’ or in regular ISO with our 933 prefix.
- Complies with FEI and other event and passport requirements.
- Guaranteed for Life by industry equine leader, Microchip ID Systems.
NOTE: You can also order our standard syringe for a heftier feel. Same price.
Yes. Are you considering offering The EquineChip™ to your members? Perhaps requiring a chip for permanent identification? Looking for a special price for members of your registry? Here are some options:
- MiniChip or Standard – Call for group pricing.
- ISO or USA ‘840’ ISO – Call for group pricing and options.
- Stock and sell The EquineChip™ directly from your office. We ship to you – you ship to your members.
- Allow members to order microchips directly from us and receive a special member discount on their chips.
- Allow members to choose whatever ISO chip they want. We keep records of every chip we sell.
- Owners can include an optional lifetime microchip registration into the Equine Protection Registry.
The microchip has no power supply, battery, or moving parts and requires no care. The EquineChip™ can not be erased with a magnet or electricity. The EquineChip is guaranteed by United States manufacturer, Microchip ID Systems, for the lifetime of your animal.
Yes. The USDA has very strict quality and compliance requirements for injectable microchips in horses. Microchip ID Systems was granted official USDA approval by the USDA for two of our most popular products for horses.
Our USDA Official approved products are:
• The 840 Mini (the only mini approved for horses by the USDA)
• The 840 Standard is also approved.
See both here.
NOTE: The official USDA 840 version of our EquineChip has special requirements, so call for more info: (800) 434-2843. Or you can order our regular EquineChips that have no requirements.
Yes! Choose either the Mini, Standard, the USDA 840 EquineChip. All comply and are accepted.
There is no technical difference between the two. The structure, size, warranty, price and design are identical. Same high quality. The differences are in the recordkeeping for you and for our company. SEE COMPARISON HERE!
A disaster of any kind can force a separation between you and your horse. Having a microchip that is registered in your name in our nationwide database makes a huge difference. Microchip ID – Equine Division works with national disaster preparedness groups across America.
These groups are equipped with microchip scanners, as are veterinarians and local animal control workers. In times of natural disaster or emergency, scanning for microchips is the ideal and preferred method of identifying equines and reuniting them with registered owners.
When a registered microchip is found in your horse, he or she is a phone call away from being reunited with you!
Microchipping is a simple injection. It only takes seconds. Most horses don’t even flinch as the chip is quickly injected into the nuchal ligament just below the mane. Once the chip is in place, it cannot be detected by hand – only with a scanner. The horse feels nothing when he is being scanned.
Not at all! From the track to the trail. Dressage to polo. Barrels to roping. From hunter jumpers to that backyard best friend. Performance is not affected in the least. Our customers and their veterinarians are the best testimony to this fact.
Any age, from birth on. Oh…and don’t forget…The Mini EquineChip™ is great for foals!
These are the Stand-Out features of Microchip ID Systems | Equine Products:
- In business in the United States for over 25 years.
- We have thousands of equine customers already using our products. Registries, breeding facilities, rescues, equine vets, equine ranches, disaster teams, and horse owners.
- The only microchip manufacturer dedicated to producing cutting edge products for horses.
- The EquineChip™ is the smallest microchip used in horses, delivered by the smallest needle.
- Our products are openly guaranteed for life. The warranty is built in to every chip we sell.
- The Equine Protection Registry is for horses – not pets. Why? Because when a horse is missing or lost, the network for recovery is very different from that of pets. Quick and decisive action is needed. Brand inspectors need to be notified. (They have scanners!) SearchAlerts are free and can be initiated by the horse owner online or by phone.
- Being a manufacturer, we offer a complete product line to suit all needs in the equine industry.
- We have a team of well-trained professionals to answer questions and talk with intelligence about microchips for horses and other equines.
The Equine Protection Registry is available to anyone who has a microchipped horse, regardless of the type or brand name of chip. If your horse already has a microchip (from any company), you can enroll online or call at your convenience.
You MUST have the accurate chip number before you can enroll online. When you enroll in the Registry, your microchip ID number will be verified and you will receive a Wallet Card and a Certificate from the Equine Protection Registry.
NOTE: If your horse is not microchipped yet, you cannot enroll online. Order your chips today or have your vet install The EquineChip™. Then come back and enroll online – or call!
JUST FOR HORSES!
Microchips provide the most reliable (and cost effective!) form of instant permanent ID. Rather than being on the outside of the horse, where ID can be removed or altered, the chip is safe and secure in the nuchal ligament. If your horse also has a brand, the chip and the brand can work together for double protection.
The EquineChip™ is always there; able to be checked and verified immediately by a nationwide network of scanners in place at vet offices, rescues, brand inspectors and regulators. When the chip number is recorded on documents, it immediately confirms… with the pass of a scanner…that the horse on the paperwork is the correct animal. Microchip numbers can be used as proof-positive when transporting, buying, selling, breeding, competing, insuring, and protecting from disease.
You can also register your horse and the microchip in our Equine Protection Network. For over 20 years, the only microchip registry dedicated solely to horses.
No. Once properly installed, the chip will not migrate or move. It will be there when you need it. (A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (2003 223:1316-1319) revealed that microchips implanted in the nuchal ligament did not migrate.)
The tiny chip provides a lifetime permanent identification number for your horse. This number is unique in the world, cannot be altered, and eliminates doubt. Horse owners use it for many different reasons, such as:
- Proof of ownership
- Health certificates and medical records
- Compliance with FEI or USEF rules
- Theft protection and recovery
- Natual disaster recovery
- Event and Registry requirements
- Sales documents
The EquineChip has an identification number programmed into it, and is small enough to fit into a hypodermic needle. The chip is quickly and easily injected, just like giving a shot. Guaranteed to be readable for the life of the animal, and the unique ID number cannot be altered.
The microchip in an RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) device and operates by receiving an invisible radio wave signal from a microchip reader. When the scanner is passed over the horse’s neck, the chip sends its number back to the scanner to be displayed in the viewing window. The animal feels nothing as his chip is being read. The interaction between the chip and scanner takes less than a second, allowing you to identify your horse quickly and on demand.
After the microchip has been injected, it should be registered in the Equine Protection Registry, where information is safely stored in cases of loss, theft or natural disaster.
Technology that scans the eye (specifically the iris) of a horse does exist. Iris scans are said to work because every horse has unique iris features. However the equipment of very expensive, not widely used and provides no on-demand proof of ID or ownership unless you have an iris scanner. In order for the system to work, the eye must be scanned and entered into a database. Then, in order to verify that the horse IS the horse, another eye scan is needed to verify who he is.
The problem is one of expense. Scanners are often over $3000.00, and horse owners and vets are left with nothing that they can use on an everyday basis for protection and proof of ownership, health certificates or event entry.
The cost to private veterinarians and horse owners is prohibitive. Some suggest that the lack of an invasive procedure is appealing. However the new mini microchip is so tiny that is is less invasive than most injections and certainly very affordable at under $10.00 for a chip and a bit over $100 for a scanner.